My Photo
Name:
Location: Maple Valley, Washington

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

The beginning of the story...

So i just finished reading Doug's blog and he had a great entry about swing dancing. I just have to vouch for him and say that he has picked up dancing very quickly! For those who haven't read his blog yet, we are taking east coast swing lessons for the next five weeks, and our first lesson was last night. As Doug stated, we first went swing dancing last November, just a week after we started 'hanging out'... and i was excited but surprised that he wanted to go with me at that time. Of course if you'd heard previous conversations wtih my friend Meredith, you'd realize how much i wanted to meet a guy who would be willing to try new things with me and most importantly, who would be willing to at least attempt dancing. So imagine my surprise when Doug not only volunteered to go so soon after meeting, but he picked up the basic steps quickly and was happy to go a second time. And seven months later, he's even willing to take lessons with me - and is enjoying it! See guys - it really is a good way to win a girl's heart! :) Well okay, i guess there were a few other factors involved there too!

Since i'm talking about Doug, I can tell you about how we met... Leah asked for it, so here it is! Well last November I was leaving church where i had been working with the kids on a wednesday night, and going to my friend (and new roommate) Sarah's house to practice playing guitar when i checked my phone messages. To my surprise i had a voicemail from my old roommate Mindy's cousin Doug (did you follow that?!?!?) Mindy and I were roommates for just under a year before she was married last summer. I had met Doug a few times through Mindy - he had come over to our place once and I had gone with Mindy to a couple family things which Doug had been at. However, we never really talked much any of those times. I'm pretty sure that the first time he came over, I was feeling incredibly unsociable (which is highly unusual for me by the way!) and so i said hello to Mindy's cousins and then spent the rest of the evening in my room. Apparently that was the right thing to do, although i didn't know it at the time! Doug has told me since then that I intruiged him from that first meeting. Over a year later Doug saw me when he was looking through some wedding pictures from Mindy's wedding, and was reminded that he hadn't had a chance to get to know me. So he decided to remedy that! I admire Doug for calling up his cousins to get my phone number and then calling me out of the blue! I'll admit that i was a bit skeptical at first - i mean we hadn't even talked when we had met before... but I was totally willing to go out for coffee with him - as friends of course! Well from there the rest is history... he treated me like a princess from the very begining and was willing to go swing dancing with me a week later :) We have had lots of adventures to this point and i'm sure we'll have many more to tell you about in the future...

4 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

That's great! I didn't know Doug could dance. Swing is so much fun. I wish I had a dance partner. Thank you for sharing your story on how you met!!! I'll have to tell Doug to post those pictures of Suzanne's wedding. I would love to see them. Talk to you later.

June 14, 2005 10:01 PM  
Blogger Sabrina said...

Sigh....That is a GREAT story!

June 15, 2005 10:28 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

You guys are great! I was so glad that we got to meet you when you came up to Burlington. I love hearing all the details too :)

June 15, 2005 9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carol - so great to be able to keep touch with what's going on with you, especially since I'm so far away! I so enjoy staying in touch with you, and I might even go the Blog route after seeing yours.

Love to you, Friend - until we type again!

June 20, 2005 8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home